Blood Orange Marmalade
Total time 1 hour 10 minutes, plus overnight standing
Servings: Makes 2 half pint jars
Note: This recipe is for a small batch of marmalade
made without a
hot-water bath, so the finished jars should be refrigerated.
6 blood oranges (may vary, to make 1.5 C peel and
2 C. pulp)
1.5 C. water
2-2.5 C. sugar
1. Wash the oranges. Remove the outer peel with a vegetable
peeler and cut it into thin slivers. You should have 1.5 C. sliced peel.
2. Cut away the white pith from the outside of the oranges.
oranges into quarters, remove any seeds, then cut in to half inch
pieces. You should have about 2 C. of oranges.
3. Combine with the water in a 4 quart sauce pan. Simmer
minutes. Cover and refrigerate 12-18 hours.
4. Measure the mixture to calculate the amount of sugar
Add 3/4 C. sugar for each C. of fruit.
5. Bring the mixture to a summer and cook over medium
heat to the
jelly point (220 degrees), about 35-45 minutes. Stir occasionally to
6. Remove the marmalade from heat and skim off any foam.
into clean hot jelly jars filling to 1/2 inch from the top. Wipe the rims
and seal. Cool. Refrigerate.